The Snail House - Escargots Not Welcome!
Listen to Article
Over the years, we have told you about numerous amazing architectural designs ranging from China's Lucky Coin building to Copenhagen's Interactive Children's Pavilion but none, is as creative, environmentally friendly and unusual as Bulgaria's Snail House!
As the name indicates the one-of-a-kind house designed by local architect Simeon Simeonov looks as though the mollusk is crawling on the street's sidewalk except for the fact, that it is a little larger and a tad more colorful than the real deal.
And while at first glance it may look just like a decorative structure, a closer examination reveals some amazingly cool features. The bee perched on top of the house doubles up as the chimney, whilst the snail horns act not only as night lights but also, lightning arresters! As for the snail's drooping eyelids? They are camouflaged ventilation holes for air and gas. And if the house itself does not bring a smile on the visitor's face, the mouth-shaped door complete with red lips, will definitely do the job.
And that's just the exterior. Dig deeper and you will find even more amazing green architecture. Built from concrete that is four times lighter than water, this cleverly built structure that has no sharp edges, is also extremely energy efficient. What's even more fun is that the Snail House apparently also features some fun animals inside, including radiators shaped in the form of frogs, ladybugs and pumpkins!
Fittingly enough, the building was constructed at a 'snail's pace' - taking about ten years to complete. It opened its doors to the public in 2009 and is today, amongst Sofia's most popular tourist attractions. Future plans for this building include using it as a school for the gifted or, just keeping it as a tourist destination. But wait..... the fun doesn't stop here! Encouraged by the success of his unusual structure, the architect is planning on introducing a giant turtle and dinosaur house to the neighborhood. We for one, can't wait to see them!
Learn Keywords in this Article
- jazz-jazzyalmost 2 yearsThat house was so cool like how the bee was a chimney and the mouth is a door that's awesome👍🤓🙊
- weirdisgood2023almost 2 yearsWow, that's amazing! Snails are absolutely adorable and cool! I wish I could go there!
- minimalisticalmost 2 yearsWow, a snail house?! If I had a pet snail I would go there right now and take the photo of the Snail House and my pet snail.
- bscalmost 2 yearsWOW!
- hariz23almost 4 yearscool! so amazing!I want to know what inside the snail house
- yasmin zahirahalmost 4 yearsamazing !
- N*r*nalmost 5 yearsWhat inside the snail house i want to know it
- dimondbackscaleover 6 yearsamazing , how awsome is that
- KKalmost 7 yearsNice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- YAabout 7 yearsI NEED TO LIVE THERE FOREVER,I NEED TO,BESIDES, I WONDER WHY NO ESCARGOTS ARE NOT WELCOME, PERHAPS THE PEOPLE MIGHT THINK THEY ARE LIVE IN A ESCARGOT, THATSMY IDEA. WELL SO LONG ME FRIENDS,DO NOT WORRY, I WILL COMMENT ON THE SAME ARTICLE AGAIN, GOODBYE